Feed on
Posts
Comments

About Me

My name is Geir Ove Alnes, and I co-own a small indie development company called Way North Studios. I’m currently (as of March 2016) working on a game called The Tavern. I also work part-time as a systems developer making web applications for a local company here in Norway.

From 2008 to 2013 I worked for the video game developer Funcom, where I was primarily involved in the development of their MMORPG titles Age of Conan (4 1/2 years) and The Secret World (half a year) as an Animation Systems/State-machine designer, particle-effect wizzard (with two ‘z’s), GFX asset management monkey and – most recently – AI designer/scripter.

Incidentally, I picked up one of my monikers (yes, I have more than one!) – Xoduz – from the title (Exodus) of an old Conan the Barbarian comic I read sometime early in 1997. I’ve been collecting the comics (as released in Norway) since 1996, and it was a happy coincidence for me that my entry into game development should coincide with my interest in Conan!

Anyhow, this weblog/website will contain my personal takes on subjects such as game design, gaming in general, tidbits about books I read, interesting going-ons in the world of massively multi-player online games, and more.

I’ll also be putting up any drawings I deem good enough to show publicly on the Art-page, link any essays/tidbits/blurbs I come up with concerning game design on the Design-page, and maybe from time to time throw up some non-design related fiction on the Words-page.

Game development-related projects I’ve worked on (in chronological descending order):

Game development-related job positions I’ve had (In chronological descending order):

• BCC Designer at Funcom (Age of Conan, 2008-2010)
  • Animation Systems Designer at Funcom (Age of Conan, 2010-2012)
  • Visual Effects Artist at Funcom (The Secret World, 2012)
  • AI Designer at Funcom (Age of Conan, 2012-2013)
  • Creative Director/Game Designer at Way North Studios (The Tavern, 2013-)

Disclaimer: Everything I post on this blog will be my personal thoughts and opinions, and nothing I write will necessarily represent any official views held by my former, current or future employers.

Contact info: xoduz [insert swirly thing here] xoduz [dot] org

6 Responses to “About Me”

1. Theos says:

WTB Norwegian Wood – an UOX-based Ultima Online shard =P

I randomly stumbled across this page and just had to post ^ =D wonder if you remember me from the long lost days

~Theos

2. Xoduz says:

Hey Theos! Of course I remember you! :) Why aren’t you on ICQ? :P

3. phao says:

I don’t know if you remember me. I used to stay in #uox3 @ irc.freenode.com back when you stayed there, but now it seems no one is there.

By the way, why Xoduz and not Xuri anymore?

Do you still do UO server development?

4. Xoduz says:

Oh lol, just saw this in the “pending” section on comments management. *approves comment* XD

I remember you :) Xuri was my UO nickname (and by proxy, UOX3). Xoduz was my general gamer nickname before, during and after that.

I don’t do much UO server development anymore, though the page & forums (and a few users) are still around.

5. Tarinoc says:

Wow, I found myself stumbling over this again some 6 years after I first found it and made some random comment on one of the posts here. A mere 2 years after I thought I would!

Congratulations on working in the industry you (presumably) love!

Four years ago you asked “where,” when I mentioned I’d gotten into the industry, haha! I worked at BioWare (Star Wars: The Old Republic, and Dragon Age: Origins) for 7 years and left a couple years ago to start my own indie project. It’s been an agonizing, stressful adventure but is nearing announcement.

Good luck on everything. Hope all is well! Still can’t log into Norwegian Wood for some reason… :3 I’ll probably stop by again in a few years. :)

6. Xoduz says:

Hey Tarinoc! Long time no see :)

Ah pretty cool to see other people end up in the game dev industry too! Played SWTOR for a long while. Fun game. Congrats :) And yeah, indie game development is hard work :X Best of luck to you with your project! Let me know when you announce something :)