From 2008 to 2013 I worked as a designer for the video game developer Funcom, where I was primarily involved in the development of the MMORPG titles Age of Conan (4 1/2 years) and The Secret World (half a year) as an Animation Systems/State-machine designer, particle-effect wizzard (with two ‘z’s), GFX asset management monkey and AI designer/scripter.
Incidentally, I picked up one of my monikers (yes, I have more than one!) – Xoduz – from the title (Exodus) of an old Conan the Barbarian comic I read sometime early in 1997. I’ve been collecting the comics (as released in Norway) since 1996, and it was a happy coincidence for me that my entry into game development should coincide with my interest in Conan!
After leaving Funcom I started my own indie adventure in Norway via Way North Studios, which lasted roughly from 2013 to 2017. Following that, I joined Mighty Bear Games, where I got to cut my teeth on mobile games design working on games like World of Legends, Butter Royale and Best Friends Cafe: Merge Dreams.
About this Website
Anyhow, this weblog/website will contain my personal takes on subjects such as game design, gaming in general, tidbits about books I read, interesting going-ons in the world of massively multi-player online games, and more.
Game development-related projects I’ve worked on (in reverse chronological order):
- Mighty Action Heroes – a web3-based battle royale game, by Mighty Bear Games
- Best Friends Cafe: Merge Dreams – a merge game for Android
- Disney Melee Mania – a 3v3 battle arena game with Disney and Pixar champions, by Mighty Bear Games
- Butter Royale – A non-violent, food-fight-based battle royale game on Apple Arcade, by Mighty Bear Games
- Mighty Pets & Puzzles – a match-3 RPG by Mighty Bear Games
- World of Legends – a free, casual MMORPG on mobile by Mighty Bear Games
- The Tavern – an online RPG by Way North Studios
- Age of Conan: The Secrets of Dragon’s Spine – an adventure pack for Age of Conan
- The Secret World – a Funcom-developed MMORPG in a modern-day setting, where every myth, conspiracy theory and urban legend is true
- Age of Conan: Unchained – ongoing Live version of Age of Conan
- Age of Conan: The Savage Coast of Turan – an adventure pack for the Age of Conan
- Age of Conan: Rise of the Godslayer – an expansion-pack to Age of Conan
- Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures – a fantasy-themed MMORPG set in the universe of Conan the Barbarian, by Funcom
- Norwegian Wood – an UOX3-based Ultima Online shard
- WorldBuilder – a GM/world-building tool for UOX
- UOX3 – an open-source Ultima Online server emulator
Game development-related job positions I’ve had (In reverse chronological order):
- Game Designer at Mighty Bear Games (WoL, MPP, BR, DMM, BFC, MAH, 2018-)
- Creative Director/Game Designer at Way North Studios (The Tavern, 2013-2017)
- AI Designer at Funcom (Age of Conan, 2012-2013)
- Visual Effects Artist at Funcom (The Secret World, 2012)
- Animation Systems Designer at Funcom (Age of Conan, 2010-2012)
- BCC Designer at Funcom (Age of Conan, 2008-2010)
Disclaimer: Everything I post on this blog will be my personal thoughts and opinions, and nothing I write will necessarily represent any official views held by my former, current or future employers.
Contact info: xoduz [insert swirly thing here] xoduz [dot] org